20 Games Like New Super Mario Bros. 2()
Prepare for liftoff with Mario and Yoshi!
In 2007, Super Mario Galaxy took the world of video games by storm. Now this first true Mario sequel in years re-energizes the franchise with new levels and new power-ups. Plus this time Mario gets to team up with his dinosaur buddy Yoshi, who adds new possibilities to the gravity-defying game play. It's everything you love about the first game and more.
* Mario collects stars as he travels from galaxy to galaxy. Every level is new, but the game retains the charm, sense of wonder and beauty in line with Mario's history. Mario works his way through the various levels, sometimes upside-down, sometimes floating from place to place.
* On some stages, Mario can find an egg, smash it open and hop onto the back of Yoshi. Yoshi can use his tongue to grab items and shoot them back at enemies, or to snag attach points and swing across chasms.
* Yoshi has an interesting diet. When he eats a Dash Pepper, he gets so hot and frenzied he can run up steep inclines and vertical walls. When he eats a Blimp Fruit, he inflates like a balloon and floats to new heights.
* New power-ups include a drill that Mario uses to tunnel through the planet's surface all the way to the other side of a planet.
* Skilled players will want to collect new Comet Metals, which will unlock harder levels with even more challenges.
90 / 1001464.5
Super Mario Bros. 3 is a platform video game for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) video game console. Mario and Luigi embark on a quest to save Princess Toadstool and the rulers of seven different kingdoms from the antagonist Bowser and his children, the Koopalings. The player, as Mario or Luigi, is able to defeat enemies by stomping them or using items that bestow magical powers. Mario and Luigi are given a wider range of abilities than in previous Super Mario games, including flying or sliding down slopes. In addition, Super Mario Bros. 3 introduces numerous elements, such as new enemy characters and the use of a world map to transition between levels, that have reappeared in or have influenced subsequent Mario games.
90 / 1003804.5
Leap into the first multiplayer Mario platformer set in a 3D world! Play as Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad—each with their own special skills—in the all-new Sprixie Kingdom. Scamper up walls with the new cat power-up to find secrets or pounce from above to claw enemies. Enjoy a solo romp or add friends on the fly for instant Mario multiplayer magic! Freely roam the world map and each sprawling stage alone or team up with friends to find hidden stars while competing to take the crown for most coins and points found. Tap the Wii U GamePad controller’s touch screen to freeze enemies and reveal invisible secrets. Or, use the GamePad for off-TV play while tilting it to spot hidden nooks and crannies with the moveable camera. All this and more makes Mario’s world deeper than ever. Jump on in!
88 / 100904.4
Mario is invited by Princess Peach to her castle, but once he arrives he finds out that Bowser has kidnapped her. Mario has to overcome many challenges and collect Power Stars hidden in the castle's paintings and walls to defeat Bowser and rescue Peach in this seminal 3D platformer.
91 / 1004004.55
Experience a gravity-defying adventure!
Become Mario as he traverses gravity-bending galaxies, traveling in and out of gravitational fields by blasting from planet to planet. Players experience dizzying perspective shifts as they run upside down through wild alien worlds that need to be seen to be believed. Whether you're surfing on a ray across an ocean in the clouds, rolling on a ball through a treacherous garden, or floating in a bubble over a poisonous swamp, there's no limit to the cosmic challenges you'll encounter!
* Shake it! Controlling Mario is as simple as can be with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Move Mario with the Control Stick and shake the Wii Remote to perform a spin move or cue Ring Stars that launch you to and from planetary objects. You can even point at bits of stardust to collect them or latch onto Beam Stars to blaze a magnetic trail through the heavens.
* Mario can run, tiptoe, jump, triple-jump, backflip, and long-jump, but what he'll do most is spin. By shaking the Wii Remote, players make Mario spin around with fists outstretched, allowing him to pummel enemies and cue Star Rings that launch him from planet to planet.
* He can also find plenty of power-ups: A Bee Mushroom turns him into Bee Mario, allowing him to fly for short periods of time and cling to honeycombs. A Boo Mushroom turns him into Boo Mario, allowing him to float and turn invisible to pass through mesh gates.
* He'll constantly collect bits of stardust. These can be fired at enemies using the B Button. A second player can even take on this role, using a second Wii Remote to stall enemies, fire stardust, or even sweep aside projectiles.
87 / 1001664.35
Turn your racing experience upside down! Nintendo’s Mario Kart franchise comes to the Wii U console in full HD, introducing new racing circuit designs and anti-gravity karts that will have players driving upside down. And for the first time, all of Bowser’s seven Koopalings are playable characters-- get a taste of being bad on the race track by playing as Iggy, Larry, Lemmy, Ludwig, Morton, Roy and Wendy. Players will also enjoy a variety of series-favorite features, including the return of 12-player online competitive play, hang-gliders, underwater racing and motorbikes.
87 / 1001064.35
New Super Mario Bros. U is a new, side-scrolling adventure featuring Mario, Luigi, Toad ... and your Mii character! Now's your chance to step inside the Mushroom Kingdom and explore new worlds, new power-ups and new ways to play. Up to five players can jump into the fun, with up to four people using Wii Remote controllers and one on the Wii U GamePad. The experience is different, depending on which controller is used.
78 / 100413.9
Do you have what it takes to save the Mushroom Princess? You’ll have to think fast and move even faster to complete this quest! The Mushroom Princess is being held captive by the evil Koopa tribe of turtles. It’s up to you to rescue her from the clutches of the Koopa King before time runs out. But it won’t be easy. To get to the Princess, you’ll have to climb mountains, cross seas, avoid bottomless pits, fight off turtle soldiers and a host of black magic traps that only a Koopa King can devise. It’s another non-stop adventure from the Super Mario Bros.!
86 / 1003624.3
Super Mario Maker lets people’s imaginations run wild. For the first time ever, friends can have fun playing through levels they create for one another. The Wii U GamePad controller makes it so easy for anyone to create levels; it may feel like simply sketching out ideas on paper. Players can enjoy a seemingly endless supply of inventive Mario levels from players around the world.
The game includes a book totaling about 100 pages that illustrates the boundless possibilities in Super Mario Maker. Nintendo will also release two special Mario amiibo figures to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original Super Mario Bros. game. Tapping these amiibo in Super Mario Maker adds a Big Mushroom power-up to your course, allowing Mario to grow big and bust blocks from any direction, as well as adding a retro visual filter to the game, reminiscent of older cathode ray tube televisions. In addition, many other amiibo will also be compatible with Super Mario Maker through the use of a new item called the Mystery Mushroom. This item allows Mario to take the appearance of many other characters, such as Link, Kirby or Wii Fit Trainer, complete with character-specific animations and sound effects. These character costumes can be unlocked by completing the 100 Mario Challenge mode and many can also be unlocked if the player taps the amiibo of the character to the Wii U GamePad.
85 / 100334.25
In a strange and mystical land, a young boy discovers a mysterious creature with which he forms a deep, unbreakable bond. The unlikely pair must rely on each other to journey through towering, treacherous ruins filled with unknown dangers. Experience the journey of a lifetime in this touching, emotional story of friendship and trust.
89 / 100624.45
Super Mario goes mobile!
Unlike other games in the franchise, Mario will run on his own. All you do is tap the screen to jump. The longer you tap, the higher the jump meaning that you can play the game with one hand.
In this game, Mario constantly moves forward through the courses while you use a variety of jumps to navigate. Mario will behave differently depending on the timing of your taps, so it's up to you to show off particularly smooth moves, gather coins, and reach the goal.
There are three different game modes to play. The first mode features challenging courses for you to complete while collecting coins. The second mode has you challenge the play data of other players to show who can beat a course with the most style to impress Toads into joining you. In the third mode, you get to create your own Mushroom Kingdom using the coins and Toads collected by playing the first two game modes.
72 / 100183.6
What Sleeps Behind the Door?
Time passes, the pages turn…and a new chapter unfolds in an unfamiliar land! Get ready for a two-dimensional role-playing adventure for the ages as Mario returns to paper form to discover a mystery that sleeps behind an ancient, legendary portal called the Thousand-Year Door. The quest is long, the dangers many, and this time, Mario will have to make full use of his papery qualities just to survive.
Take to the stage! Impressing the crowd builds power for super attacks, but don’t disappoint the audience, or you’ll pay!
No need to go it alone! You’ll need to rely on sidekicks to survive, and even enemies have roles to play…
Don’t fold under pressure! Fold into a paper airplane, turn sideways to slip through cracks, and much more.
Stay on your toes! Stamp foes, swing your hammer, and use timely button presses to do damage!
95 / 100564.75
Run and jump to your way to fun with Mario & friends!
- Play together with up to 4 friends or family members
- Rediscover legendary 2D gameplay loved by millions
- Fun, simple controls—just like classic Mario games
Developers at Nintendo have dreamed of creating a simultaneous multiplayer Super Mario Bros. game for decades. The Wii console finally makes that dream come true for everyone. Now players can navigate the side-scrolling worlds alone as before or invite up to three others to join them at the same time on the same level at any point in the game for competitive and cooperative multiplayer fun. With the multiplayer mode, the newest installment of the most popular video game franchise is designed to bring yet another type of family entertainment into living rooms and engage groups of friends in fast-paced Super Mario Bros. fun.
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii offers a combination of cooperation and competition. Players can pick each other up to save them from danger or toss them into it.
- Mario, Luigi and two Toads are all playable characters, while many others from the Mushroom Kingdom make appearances throughout the game. Players can even ride different Yoshi characters and use their tongues to swallow enemies, items and even balls of fire.
- In some areas, players use the motion abilities of the Wii Remote™ controller. The first player to reach a seesaw might make it tilt to help his or her character reach a higher platform – or might make it tilt incorrectly just to mess with other players.
- New items include the propeller suit, which will shoot players high into the sky with just a shake of the Wii Remote, and Mario’s new ability to transform into Penguin Mario.
- At the end of each stage during the coin battle multiplayer mode, players are ranked based on the number of coins they have collected.
82 / 100734.1
The game follows Sonic the Hedgehog as a member of a resistance force against Doctor Eggman, who has taken over the world with the help of his robot army and a mysterious new villain known as Infinite. Gameplay is similar to Sonic Generations with players controlling "Classic" and "Modern" versions of the titular character; the former plays from a 2.5D side-scrolling view reminiscent of the original Sonic games on the Sega Genesis, while the latter uses three-dimensional gameplay similar to Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors. In addition to the two Sonics, Sonic Forces also introduces a third gameplay mode featuring the "Avatar", the player's own custom character.
60 / 10053.0
In Journey the player controls a robed figure in a vast desert, traveling towards a mountain in the distance. Other players on the same journey can be discovered, and two players can meet and assist each other, but they cannot communicate via speech or text and cannot see each other's names. The only form of communication between the two is a musical chime. This chime also transforms dull, stiff pieces of cloth found throughout the levels into vibrant red, affecting the game world and allowing the player to progress through the levels. The robed figure wears a trailing scarf, which when charged by approaching floating pieces of cloth, briefly allows the player to float through the air.
The developers sought to evoke in the player a sense of smallness and wonder, and to forge an emotional connection between them and the anonymous players they meet along the way. The music, composed by Austin Wintory, dynamically responds to the player's actions, building a single theme to represent the game's emotional arc throughout the story. Reviewers of the game praised the visual and auditory art as well as the sense of companionship created by playing with a stranger, calling it a moving and emotional experience. Journey won several "game of the year" awards and received several other awards and nominations, including a Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media nomination for the 2013 Grammy Awards.
86 / 1002234.3
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS features all the same tools as the original Wii U version but does not support online sharing. Instead it comes with 100 courses designed by Nintendo featuring special challenges. Also new is the ability of collaborating on unfinished courses locally.
As the giant beasts march toward death, the last hope is a scavenger named Rex—and Pyra, a living weapon known as a Blade. Can you find the fabled paradise she calls home? Command a group of Blades and lead them to countless strategic victories before the world ends.
Each Titan hosts its own distinct cultures, wildlife, and diverse regions to explore. Search the vast open areas and labyrinthine corridors for treasure, secret paths, and creatures to battle and index.
During these escapades you'll get to know a large cast of eclectic characters, including the weaponized life forms known as Blades. Gather these allies, bond with them to increase their power, and utilize their special ARTS to devastate enemies. But to save the world of Alrest, you must first demystify its cloudy past.
A new story in the Xenoblade Chronicles series
The next adventure is on the Nintendo Switch console—set on the backs of colossal, living Titans.
Discover each Titan’s diverse regions, culture, wildlife, equipment, and hidden secrets.
Find, bond with, and command weaponized life forms known as Blades to earn abilities and enhance them.
Uncover the history of Alrest and the mystery of its endless ocean of clouds.