Total War: ROME REMASTERED is a modernized remaster of ROME: Total War (2004). It is a strategy game set in ancient Rome, where players manage their faction with the aim to defeat other rival factions, conquer ancient Rome and become emperor, using a combination of diplomatic, military and economic tactics. Gameplay takes place on an accurate representation of ancient Rome and surrounding countries and is divided into two core elements.
1) The Campaign map – This is a turn-based campaign map in which the player is able to recruit and train troops, manage cities & towns through building, progresses through technologies, engage in diplomacy, start wars in order to achieve domination over other competing factions. The aim on the campaign map is to take territory from other factions and dominate the map. This is done through a combination of military (moving and positioning armies across a map) and non-military strategies (which can be achieved via trade & diplomacy, and/or by deploying agents to uncover information about rivals).
2) The Battles – there are real time 3D land battles with a high level of graphical realism. These result from the movement and clash of armies on the campaign map. Players control their army in real time against their opponent, in a 3D map environment. Armies are broken into units which can be controlled individually or as a combination. Units can be ordered in various ways to move and attack, in an effort to defeat the enemy. There are various broad types of units to choose from, each with their own stats (ie: infantry, ranged infantry, cavalry, siege etc.). A battle is resolved once one persons army is defeated.
Players can choose to play:
- The main campaign as one of a number of factions (certain factions are only playable once they have been defeated in the core campaign)
- A Historical Battle: pre-set conditions, representing historically accurate battles
- Custom Battle: players can customise their battle (ie: choose factions, conditions, etc.)
- Quick Battle: players are placed into a random battle scenario
- Multiplayer: against other players (online)
Total War: ROME REMASTERED contains two expansion packs that were originally released separately for ROME: Total War (2004):
- ROME: Total War - BARBARIAN INVASION
- ROME: Total War - ALEXANDER
Both of these expansion packs have been remastered alongside the base game and are part of the core product.